Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 7.....The Power of Food

I have now missed posting something for a couple of days, so while I have entitled this day 7 there will no longer be a direct correspondence with the day of the month...I will think of it as the 7th posting...As I am rambling about related themes here is another. I am an avid reader of horoscopes and last year focused on my capacity to be an agent of change for myself, which I did. This month, according to one horoscope, I will do well to commit myself to my life's path, and I have decided that 'Penny's Pantry' is part of that path. The other big part is learning more about how to express my love for others more deeply. Making and sharing healthy and delicious food is part of both of these journeys. for some folks that may be a stretch, but one that most foodies can relate to. Today I will buy some ingredients to experiment with a bit of baking using less sugar and more wholesome flours. An internet search has resulted in some great sounding recipes but not very many that are as healthy as I would like to offer. For Christmas I was given a daily calendar with words of interest and guidance. Today's words are about a worthwhile goal being like a good stretch and on the back it notes that the average person eats about 35,000 cookies in a lifetime...now that is an inspiration to make healthier cookies.

After the above rambling, I would like to share something 'substantial' related to baking. I did indeed by a variety of healthy grains, nuts and honey at the bulk store and this afternoon I made the 2 lovely loaves of bread that you now see on this blog. They are called 'Claire's Tasty Bread' as they are an old family recipe from my in-laws and one that I had never made until today. It is indeed a delicious bread and loaded with goodness :) I also made a trail mix that is delicious, however a bit 'sticky and buttery' for the trail...I will think about making it into bars perhaps or cutting back on the butter and maple syrup. So today's baking was an overall great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment