Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 6....The Power of Food

I was thinking of my summers as a child and the 2 weeks that I would often stay with my grandparents who lived in a lake-town. My grandfather and I would often get up early and go down to the dock to fish. We would take the rods and reels and some worms and the bucket for the perch we caught and off we would go. I still love the early mornings best....the sound of the water against the shore is so calming and beautiful. There would usually be a couple of other people there, just sitting on their little stools as we were, very quiet and intent on fishing. We would usually bring home at least enough fish for lunch. We would clean them in the garage and Grandma would fry them up and serve them with cottage cheese, homemade coleslaw, maybe pickles and white bread and butter. We would have fresh raspberries from the backyard if they were in season or peaches for dessert. I loved the smell of their home in that town and loved to sleep in the front bedroom, with the cool night lake breeze blowing into my dreams.
....memories are wonderful. Wholesome and simple food... love and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment