Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 4...The Power of Food

I am sitting here smiling, remembering some happy childhood memories that involved food. Our mother made cookies quite often and peanut butter (this was of course before so many children seemed to be allergic to peanuts) or oatmeal were the types I remember the most. After school we were allowed to have a glass of milk and 2 cookies each. I had at least one friend who loved being invited over to play after school as much for the cookies I suspect as to play with me...it was all good!

My best friend and I and sometimes my older sister frequently had what we would call 'toast eating contests' on Saturday mornings. We would make toast with margarine and cinnamon sugar mix on top, and eat until we almost burst. I seem to recall consuming at least 8 pieces of toast, maybe more.

It is now that very busy day before school goes back after the Christmas holidays and I have made a large pan of enchilada casserole for my 2 university aged children. This is a great recipe, which I found in the Crazy Plates cookbook, authored by Greta and Janet Podleski. I use whole wheat wraps and it has protein and also veggies. When served with low fat sour cream (you could also use plain yogurt but I haven't) it is nutricious and delicious and a kid-friendly dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment