Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 5...The Power of Food

I have to laugh that here I am at 3:30 a.m. making steel-cut oatmeal (with both walnuts and coconut as well as cinnamon today), drinking a coffee and writing. I am happy. It seems that 2009 was a year of huge challenges and change for the world and my life was the same. We do not know what 2010 will bring and I am open to the possibilities...
As a young child, I was always very proud that I had more grandmothers in my life than practically any of my friends. With 2 grandmothers and 3 great-grandmothers that I remember, I was indeed fortunate. One of my great-grandmothers lived on a farm and made the best buns (called air buns) for dinner. At Christmas we enjoyed her home-made shortbread cookies in the special log jar. This particular shortbread cookie recipe has been handed down through 4 generations now and continues to be shared with family from the same jar at gatherings. The ingredients are of course simple, just flour, brown sugar and butter, but it is an art to knead the dough to just the right consistency to ensure a melt-in-your-mouth cookie. It takes time, patience and love.
There are just some recipes, like shortbread, that are not to be tinkered with. The air buns would no longer be air buns of course. With a greater density of ingredients I am sure that the outcome will be heavier than air...they will most definitely need a new name. White sugar, shortening and white flour...to be replaced with ???? ...part whole wheat flour....Suggestions are welcome! I will report the results in a future posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment