Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Count down...


It has been said both of me and by me that I am happiest when I have a project...the birthing of Penny's Pantry is indeed a project. Today my tasks ranged from chatting to a company that sells refurbished cash and weigh scale systems, having an initial discussion with my primary distributor so that I can get their catalogue, meeting with a graphic artist and taking apart, cleaning and putting back together the amazing gravity fed bins (pic of one taken apart) that I have bought. I also have been doing some online research to source new scoops and in thinking creatively I may use something a little bit 'outside of the norm' and 'colourful'....looking at shelving for the storage room as well as possible solutions to putting a door at the bottom of the stairs going to my private living area....went out for a walk to the local dollar store to see what I might find there in the way of scoops. Although there was not anything appropriate in stock, the owner may be able to get what I need for much less than I can get it online and in addition, another customer overheard me telling him what I wanted the scoops for and he got very excited to know that there will be a bulk food store coming to town. It is this feedback from folks on the street that fuels my energy. I know that I won't be able to keep in stock everything, or even close to everything that everyone in town would like, as I will have the capacity of maybe 1/10th of the Bulk Barn. However with special orders an option, I trust that I will be able to meet the needs of most of the people, most of the time. I also chatted with the woman who works in the dollar store and she shared a business card for herself and her husband, who may be able to help me reduce my internet and phone costs. Building alliances are what small business in the county is all about, helping each other and keeping as much of our business local as possible. It is now getting close to my 'witching hour', but in closing I want to mention that both a telephone and skype chat with 2 different friends with expertise in areas where I am limited (bookkeeping and graphic design) reminded me of how my friends have continued to support me every step of the way where they can...other friends who are skilled in woodworking and plumbing are soon to be on the scene. :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment