Thursday, January 20, 2011

Breakfast Time Favourite

On these cold and snowy mornings what could be better than a hot and delicious bowl of porridge? Ever since I got introduced to steel cut oats, this is how I start most days. (I still love my coffee, just so you know that I am not perfect, whatever that means!)

One of the great things about steel cut oats is that 1/3 dry oats has 7 grams of protein, compared to regular oats which have 4 grams. And I think it tastes better too, as it has a wonderful chewy texture.

I make enough for 3 mornings and warm it in the microwave after the first morning:

Boil 4 cups water with a bit of salt and then add 1 cup dry oats, simmering gently for about 30 minutes until it is thick and is just starting to stick a bit to the pan (keep an eye on it and stir periodically). That's the basic recipe, however I usually add some cinnamon and often chopped apple and walnuts and a bit of vanilla. Other fruits added on top are great too of course!

I sweeten with just a bit of stevia (a natural herb sweetener with no calories) and add milk. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment