Sunday, January 23, 2011

Apple Tart Extraordinaire!

I have been adapting dessert recipes to 'health them up', substituting honey or pure cane sugar for white, reducing the fat by using applesauce and just having fun experimenting! This recipe came from a daily email that I subscribe to and highly recommend. www.whfoods.org It needed no adaptations although I cut it down by about 1/3 as there were only 2 of us and if the full recipe is made it would nicely serve 6 (the recipe indicates 8 but these would be pretty small servings!). The crust is crushed dates and walnuts and is absolutely wonderful! The apple layer which is cooked just a little bit in a frying pan is spread in only a light layer and has just enough honey and delicious spices to make is decadent. The only change I made was to use cranberry juice in the apple filling rather than apple juice. Just use whatever fruit juice you happen to have and I'm sure it will be delicious! I delayed cutting the apples until just before putting them in the frying pan so I did not need to put them in the lemon water and they were just fine. I also kept the whole dessert in the fridge until the next day, covered closely with plastic wrap and was happy to find the apple topping looking exactly the same and my friend visiting from out of town was just as impressed with this dessert as I was. bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment