Tuesday, February 15, 2011

kale and beyond


I am certain that I am not alone with the 'empty fridge dilemna'...yep, time to go shopping, but what to buy? At times maybe you have a recipe in mind and can just gather the ingredients and viola, your tummy will be fed for a week (that is, if you like left-overs and actually make a large enough amount for it to last). This week was not really one of 'those' weeks for me. This week, I went shopping with an empty fridge, three items on the list, one of them kale, since I had thought about making a kale soup recipe....other than that, I bought tofu and yogurt and onions and oh yes some milk.

I did make the soup and added tofu to the recipe for added protein. It was a simple, yet hearty and delicious soup, with onions, garlic, veg broth, one carrot (I had a couple left) a couple of potatoes and about 3 cups of kale, chopped finely. That's it, that's the recipe...and it was good.

Since bunches of kale are pretty large, I had only used about half for the soup and I didn't want it to go bad...(it was also the only fresh green veggie in the house), so as I had taken some pizza dough out of the freezer, I decided to make another yummy pizza similar to the one I blogged about maybe 3 weeks ago...Mediterranean style...except that this time I put on about a 1 1/2 cups of chopped kale and also tofu....it too was great!...so yes, you can put kale on pizza and you might even surprise a few non veggie eaters lol.

Lastly, with some kale and tofu still left, I threw together some pasta sauce together with the rest of the tomatoes, some onion, herbs, garlic....and this will be dinner for tomorrow (the rest of the week will be leftover 'everything')

Gotta love that kale! .....next week I am thinking about brussel sprouts because I just read a recipe for getting rid of that bitter taste :)

No comments:

Post a Comment