Friday, February 11, 2011

cruciferous veggies...rhymes with coniferous?

Today I am going to tell you a story. A few years ago when riding the subway in Toronto at a time when it was not at all crowded, I happened to be in the same car as an older woman who perhaps lived on the street and at least was obviously quite poor. She was opening what appeared to be someone's tossed take-away lunch styrofoam container and was immediately grinning ear to ear when she discovered most of a large broccoli stem. "Oh, she exclaimed, it's a tree, a beautiful tree!" I smiled to myself, as I too had often thought of this amazing vegetable as a miniature tree. She was a joy to watch (as discretely as possible of course, as I did not want her to feel uncomfortable) as she relished each little bite of broccoli. When I later told my children about the woman I had seen eating a tree, they too could relate and smiled.

Broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts are all part of what is called the cruciferous family, which made me think of coniferous, which made me think of trees and which in turn made me think of the story I just shared with you!.....cruciferous veggies are especially good for us. Not only do the green ones have chlorophyll which provides a nourishing and healing effect on humans this family has been found to have extra anticancer effects...so enjoy all the more!!

Last night I made a quick recipe that a friend had shared, with chopped onions, then chopped sweet potatoes and ginger, tumeric, garam masala,cumin, then cauliflower in small pieces, a bit of water so it doesn't burn, cook until done the way you like it....a bit of coconut milk would have been great I think...at any rate it was delicious and very good for my body!!

....sorry I was rushed and hungry and did not take a pic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment